Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Give Yourself Rights

I used to feel so helpless when it came to satisfying my own needs. But one of the things I learned to get out of this slump was to give myself rights. We all have rights, legally. But what about rights when it comes to how we communicate and relate to others? Mental Illness feels like it takes away our choices and forces us into a little box. It doesn't have to be like that though. If you are true to yourself in expressing your feelings and wishes by letting others know what's important to you, your power over the illness grows and, bippity bobbity boo, it's tyrannical hold on you shatters.
Below is a list of rights that I give myself each day. I stick firmly to these rights, because they are valid and just. While some mental illnesses can be very selfish diseases, sometimes time they can also take away your sense of self and your identity as an individual who deserves positive experiences. If you join me in proclaiming these rights, you'll find that you're less likely to feel helpless, and your appreciation for yourself and your unique needs will become a way of life for you. You do deserve things, and you don't owe anybody the power to make or break you.

ASSERTIVE RIGHTS

1.) I have the right to be responsible for my own actions. I am not responsible for the actions of any other adult.
2.) I have the right to make mistakes.
3.) I have the right to be myself.
4.) I have the right to be treated with respect.
5.) I have the right to feel my feelings, and to express my thoughts and opinions.
6.) I have the right to say "no" and not feel guilty.
7.) I have the right to change my mind.
8.) I have the right to say "I don't know".
9.) I have the right to feel and express anger.
10.) I have a right for my needs to be as important as the needs of others.
11.) I have the right to do things that other people may not approve of.
12.) I have the right to ask for help.
13.) I have the right to ask "why" or "why not".
14.) I have the right to say I don't understand.

Probably one or more of these speaks more loudly to you than others. For me, it's number 10. I hope this list will help validate you as a person, and will make a difference in the way you go about taking care of yourself. Remember, you are in control here, not the disease, and not your obligations to others! Take action, find freedom, and become a powerful survivor!

4 Comments:

Woodrow Call said...

Great Post!!

Wandering Coyote said...

Excellent post, and excellent list. I particularly love #11 - this is HUGE. This is where a lot of my guilt comes from and a lot of my conflict with my treatment team has come from in the past.

gabby:Florida's Finest said...

I love this post!!! I need to start to reclaim more than one of those rights. Oh and about your comment on my latest blog, I wish I could tell her so bad but she is my younger sister and I don't want to hurt her I just needed to get that anger out so I didn't explode and say it to her face.

Depression treatment said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing all your experiences through blog.
Do keep in touch.