Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Risk for Family

The discussion between people who suffer mental illness mostly ends with an agreement about family life: we just want to be given permission to be who we are.
There is no element of choice here. We don't ask for this mental illness. We just find out we have it...it hits us like a truck, blindsides our brains, confuses our loved ones naturally, and freaks us out too! We may go to the Shrink, get thrown a bunch of medications, and not even be told a diagnosis or explanation of what we are about to go through for the rest of our lives. How many of us do know enough about our condition that we can help family get it?
Like I said, it's a conundrum. I want my family to be there for me and understand my life, but I also need to understand my own self and my own condition better so that I can help them. Solution? Each person has to put in work.
The only way we're going to reach an understanding is to put our family emotions aside, and step up to the educational plate. Even if you're not connecting with them right now, encourage your family to read, go to a meeting, or do some research. Do plenty of this yourself. Or simply be open enough to let them read your blog. If you take the risk first, you might be surprised that they'll be willing to risk something for you and your recovery in the future. Or, like me, you can look in the past and see that they really already have. Either way, it's one step closer to your family loving the person you are.

2 Comments:

gabby:Florida's Finest said...

Thanks for posting this! I can really realte because a lot of times the people I care about the most (my family and close friends) don't understand how hard life with panic disorder is for me and they can't understand why I just can't "snap out it." It just sucks to feel like you have to battle this alone all the time w/o the help of loved ones who should be our strongest supporters but all too often help to tear us down. My family is just now starting to make an effort to be more compassionate about my situation after almost a year of me having this and having to fight the panic and them as well. So frustrating and hurtful.

Wandering Coyote said...

Excellent post, Annie, as usual! Knowledge is power and education is key. Alas, some are still just never going to get it, and that's where the acceptance comes in: acceptance on my part that these people just don't get it, and acceptance on their part that they're just going to have to deal.