Saturday, May 30, 2009

To Med or not to Med

Now I'm getting suspicious. I've had several symptom-free days in a row. I'm basically right in the middle of the road, not hypo-manic, not depressed. Just being and doing. Being and doing, my 11th grade Philosophy teacher's definition of "time". So if time is passing without symptoms, something must be working.
I'm currently not taking a mood stabilizer due to an awful experience with side effects and also in part to a new doctor who made me want to kill myself for several days. I take Mirapex, I take Klonopin. That's it for now. A light load for me, for I'm used to the fistful of pills taken twice or three times a day.
Since January, I've undergone nearly 30 medication adjustments. Now that it has been a month without a single adjustment, I feel good. The creeping suspicion I allude to is of medication.
I've always been an advocate of meds. Yes, they make me want to roll my eyes, and I do. But I know I need them, and know I want them. My husband wants me to have them, can't blame the poor guy, and my therapist, well, her opinion aligns with his. I'm outnumbered!
It's been almost ten years and I have yet to find that great cocktail of meds that works for me. It's hard to keep the faith in these doctors, these prescriptions, these changes. But it is easy to have faith in the idea of being well, the notion of symptom free days. Not that I am a person of faith, just desperate want. I trust the professionals because I need them, and I want the meds because I love myself and want more days like this.
This post has no resolution, no answer of its own, and medications can't provide that either. We can't go around looking for a solution to Bipolar. All we can do is remain curious, try new techniques, and we evolve. My final thought? Progress, not perfection.

Caveat: I would never discourage anyone to discontinue meds without a doctor's help!

2 Comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

Great post. It's such a personal decision, and medications affect each person differently even though SOME professionals say otherwise.

I had to groan when you said at the top that you got a new doc that made you want to kill yourself. Until this week, I had a mental health blog called I'm Listening, which I took down due to a doc who made me feel that way...Long story. I miss that blog but am glad you found my regular blog anyway!

John R. Eakin said...

This is an outstanding post! Very insightful!